Road to Recovery



So it's about one week out of the hospital from colon surgery and I am trying to fit the pieces of my life back together.... funny how you don’t realize how sick you are until you aren't .... but see.. I totally believe that endurance athletes cannot distinguish pain.


Marathon training had been going exceptionally well for me this summer... I put in place one of the hardest training schedules to date, with a long run of around 17-20 miles every Sunday... but I was not feeling well... and I really couldn't differentiate was it from training or not?

Thinking back...I suppose I should have gone to the doctors but then again... he would probably tell me not to run...

I had been suffering quite horribly with a chronic lower back and hip pain since the beginning of the year but concluded it was a combination of stress, crappy bed, and increased training... and then it happened... a 4 day spell that I thought was food poisoning..and then a re-occurrence of that “food poisoning” and in the hospital I go... less than 24 hours later my ascending colon, appendix and some other stuff are taken out and I am now recovering.  I am told I cannot run for 4-8 weeks..

So this brings me to where I am today.  Twelve days post surgery... with at least 4 weeks of no running to go..and I am going to lose my mind....So how does an endurance athlete differentiate pain?  Not sure I can ever really tell you... but I do know NOW what it's like to NOT be in pain.. The road to recovery....

Popular posts from this blog

Sole Challenge 24 Hour Race

WE MET THE GOAL!

Busy as Bees