Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goals are Achievable

Saturday, September 18th
I snuck out of the house on Saturday to run a local 5K race(3.1 miles). I didn’t have to go far.. in fact it took only about 5 minutes to get there… and that’s because I drove slow….. YAWN…

I have gotten really lazy lately... my pre-race routine used to be.. warm up, stretch, then some sprints... heck I will be lucky if I actually raise my heart rate while napping in the truck..

I check out my competition (while napping)... lots of 40 somethings ...W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R... no big plans, just go out and run …. but I better get outta this truck.. i line up...and sorry fat chick.. instinctively… my body does lunge forward on take off..

Around the first turn, I pass two young gals and I am now leading the race.. um.. excuse me... ? LEADING THE RACE!?… WHERE IS EVERYONE!!?? ..finally a guy passes me..
I am now in 2nd place overall with 65 or so people behind me… BUT NO PRESSURE... At mile 1.. two more guys pass me and I am now in 4th… I am lead female.. I am not sure how to handle this new found “pressure”… especially when someone yells out.. YOU ARE FIRST FEMALE!!!… um.. sheetah..gulp

This was supposed to be a semi "easy" training run.. not an all out and die run.. but um .. at turnaround, I notice there is a gal behind me.. not too close but still there… I am not sure I even breathed that last mile... and felt no sort of sadness when I passed the guy who passed me previously... I am now in third place overall..uphill finish, crossing the line at 23 mins.. (a 7:26 pace)… and I am FIRST FEMALE!!! YAHOOOO!!! Jump up..jump up.. jump up and down .. So perhaps my time was not earth shattering… BUT YAHOOO!!!! Even the most impossible goals are achievable!!!!

2010 Goals:
Run a half marathon in 1.45 or less
Run the 8K in Shamrock at 37 minutes or less
Qualify for Boston and eventually run a marathon in 3.45
Run a 5K WITHIN 22-23 minutes COMPLETE
Run a sub 6 min mile
Improve Bike Time.. keeping a 18-19 mph pace for 30-50 miles
Improve Swim Time.. 1 mile to 1.2 mile swim under 45 minutes
Improving time on the Full Ironman hope to be under 13 hours
Be first woman finisher in any race (even if only 10 people run!) COMPLETE

(PS: won $75 for being first female!!)
Here is the link to the results: 5K RACE

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...