Friday, June 17, 2011

Ironman New York 2012

I'm IN!...Ironman New York, August 11, 2012:
The inaugural Ironman U.S. Championship begins with a wave start, 2.4-mile point-to-point swim in the Hudson River. The 112-mile bike course spans the cliffs of Palisades Parkway followed by a 26.2-mile run course over the George Washington Bridge and finishing at 81st Street in the heart of the city.

I WAS SO EXCITED about the new Ironman debuting in 2012 in New York and had a careful conversation with Joe about me competing in it. It would be a rather large expense and given the amount of training needed, I would need his full support. With his blessing, I attempted to sign up. [Registration opened up at 12 noon on Wednesday, June 15th and all general spots sold out in 11 minutes.]

I was so nervous about trying to sign up, we were camping at the beach and the only internet connection and computer was dad’s paid by megabits, and if we went over allocation it would just shut off. And so I waited, watching the clock…..sigh....

ME, being the organizational queen, I made sure I had my credit card info, USAT license, and active account info handy. IN fact, I made sure what questions they may ask on their form so I could expedite it faster ( see it pays to have previously applied to the Kona Lottery and filled out their HUGE questionnaire). I knew this race would sell out fast, even with the higher price tag, and I knew it would take the proper time to log on to not be shut out.

I knew from previous shut outs not to log on before 12.. but that I had to log on EXACTLY at 12 or possibly get shut out.. so I had watched the seconds pass …11:55..11:56...11:57.. and.. it was A GO… 12:00pm… click on REGISTER NOW link on the website (which I already had up).. wait.. wait.. wait…GOD this is SOO stressful… a minute later it goes to the next screen…

Put in my Active password.. pray.. wait.. wait… wait.. OK.. next step… who is registering?.. fill in.. click fast Wendy… how old? click fast… and agree to conditions.. wait.. wait.. next screen. I am SHAKING because of all the adrenalin in my system… I cannot keep my hands still.. concentrate Wendy!!! PLEASE don’t let the connection go out… I knew how to answer REALLY fast.. there were 43 questions to answer… and I am a FAST TYPIST!

Click.. wait for next screen…please.. oh please… and we are at the PAYMENT screen… put in my card number.. wait… and...

INSUFFICIENT FUNDS comes up…WHAT!! OMG!!!!.. Wendy stay Calm!...I am in a crises, I don’t have any other cards, except my Victoria Secret card and I am about to FREAK OUT... (I totally work well under pressure).. I keep a level head.. .. I knew that if I didn’t obtain another form of payment within a few minutes, it would be refreshed and I would have to start over and most probably will lose my spot… I DIAL JOE AT WORK.. PLEASE...PLEASE... PLEASE answer.. don't be in a meeting... sweating and feeling sick.. he has to answer..

PLEASE GOD….ring.. ring…and..

"Hello…" (Now he already gave me his blessing on this expense and knew I would be trying to register)… I explained to him as calmly as I could and he gave me his credit card info and I put it in.. and I PRAYED.. and clicked the button… AND…

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now registered for the 2012 US Ironman Championship..

I then I cried…

PS: by the way, thank you honey, you also bought me a women’s 2012 Training Shirt! KISSES!

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...