Saturday, November 24, 2012

Run for Diamonds – 9 Miler


Thanksgiving Day - November 22nd
Berwick, PA... I can’t imagine a more properly executed race. Sure it was cold, and sure it was far away, and sure it was Thanksgiving but it is one of those races where you go ...and fall in love.

Was it the elevation changes? .....Was it the 2 hour drive on Thanksgiving?..... Was it the beautiful mountain views?...... Was it the VFW veterans who volunteer and warm you heart?..... Or was it the world class competition that seems to find this out in nowhere race?

This was the 103rd running of The Run for Diamonds and it draws over 1,000 competitors, this year there will be 1,400 people running in “milder” conditions. It is one of those races that draws out the really FAST runners, the super freaks who run up and down mountains in a 4 and 5 min pace.... to make it into the top 5 of the older peeps groups you have to be in the 6’s or 7’s.. ouch.

At mile 2 there is a hill.. it’s one of those hills that you say ... oh yeah that is SOME HILL... it’s over a mile long. In fact, it’s one of those hills that well, just doesn’t seem to ever stop and people walk. It’s SOME HILL.

Waiting for the start, thankful that this year, it was not snowing, recalling how I fell in love with this race in 2009 when I trekked up here that year alone, and how I brought Joe back in 2010 despite the snow and sleet.. and he too fell in love.

This year Joe and I had a competition going, who would beat who? Joe, the uphill runner? Or..Wendy, the downhill runner? SOMEONE was going home crying...

My strategy was to go out at a decent clip, hold the best pace I could for the hill, recover and then let it rip. Unfortunately, I think that was Joe’s plan too. Joe it’s time to meet your maker...GAME ON!

So I take off my warm ups, do some jumping jacks.. and go secure a good starting position. Lost Joe in the crowd, and then we are off. It’s crowded for the first mile, always, but I have a small space to work with and since I lined up fairly close to the front I am with people who are traveling the same rate as I.

At around mile 1, I saw Joe slither past me.. I don’t think he saw me, he later said he didn’t, but I am not sure HOW you can miss me ....!

At mile 2 is the base of the hill, and I knew to keep the breathing calm, keep quiet, keep smooth. I always see people walking portions of the hill and this year was no different. It’s SOME HILL.

As you crest the hill you think, relief I can breathe a bit, but uh no.. I almost for a fairly quick second thought I am not sure I am going to make it ...but I was determined..GOT to catch Joe.

What I won’t realize until after the race, that this year I actually went up that DAMN HILL at a min faster than normal, sure didn’t feel like that WHEN I WAS DOING THE HILL... Once we got to the half way point, I picked up the pace and started screaming and spitting asphalt out my backend... I was going to bring this race HOME and catch Joe!

The miles were clicking off and still no sight of Joe... at mile 8 with one mile to go, a woman passes me. UH oh.. I worked so hard for this.....She is trolling and I force myself to keep her within my sight... and she is gaining a strong lead... I think about it for a sec and realize ...

What do you have to lose? Your legs will fall off? You will die? Really what? So what....!?

So I proceed to push... this is where knowing your skills and belief in yourself can help tremendously. I had now been watching her for the last quarter mile and realized she too was tired... and I was going to execute my race end and unless she too was a sprinter I would win. I WOULD WIN.

I knew even exhausted that I can sprint the last 100 to 200 meters of any race (usually).. and depending on the competition and the course would determine when I would start. Unfortunately, if I made the wrong call out and sprinted past my competition and they matched me, I may run out of air before the finish line and be over taken... so it’s really a precise calculation and sometimes just a risk you must take.

I am back behind her 5-6 feet, and calculated... don’t know.. too soon..i think there is more than 200 meters... I don’t know.. its may be too soon.. I don’t know... and so I made the call out... its like all the blood pulls from your extremities and moves inward and you go... I knew the challenge would be tough I would have to recoup the 5-6 feet between us and then pass her and get a large distance ahead of her...

And I GO... that fire that burns within my soul, FUELS...THAT FIRE... And I put forth a sprint of EPIC proportions...I recouping the distance AND PASSED HER ...I don’t feel she is there.. she didn’t come ...but I don’t know and I cant stop... I see the finish... my lungs are on FIRE... there is that tunnel .. the world is closing in... I see that finish... my right leg hits and falters...the land didn’t support the weight but I’m midair the other leg handles the falter... and I cross the line. 1:13:12 (8:08 pace) A new PR!!!

I can walk now... as I move to the side and put my head between my legs...breathing is good.... the girl I outsprinted stopped by and congratulated me on a well run race. Joe commented on my leg falter and great race and....

Now that is how its done...

Running is SO UNHEALTHY 

OH yeah and back to the Wendy and Joe competition... Joe had gotten in at 1:08:19 (7:39 pace) clearly kicking my arsh in a well executed race..

OH AND YES..we will be back...

Race Results:

http://www.runfordiamonds.com/result.html

My Splits:

 

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...