Monday, March 16, 2015

Shamrock On

I cant believe its been 9 years since I have been running the Shamrock Half Marathon and 8K… Seems like just yesterday I was gitty with excitement for my first ever half marathon.. BOY when I tell you.. how exciting it is to reach milestones like that.. the longest I had ever run in my life… it truly is life changing.

I was reading over my racing diary for that great day in March 2007..how I made this map of the entire course and taped it to the wall of the hotel.. and how Joe at this time was not running yet and seeing him near the end of the race was the most amazing thing ever… but true be told… this race had only great meaning after mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2010.

See I did that race in 2007.. and then in 2008 (Joe stopped smoking and did his first 8K ever).. and in 2009.. but then the year 2010.. mom was diagnosed in Feb 2010 with cancer…our family was devastated..

I remember how mom actually pulled me aside and said, "Go to Shamrock, this race means so much to you and Joe and I will be ok.. just come visit when you get back and I will be cheering for you!"… OF COURSE.. I cancelled our race and hotel.. that week I stayed by her bedside at the hospital and read to her as she she laid motionless recovering..I watching her breathe.. and I prayed..

We had a blessed two additional years with mom.. and Joe and I did go back and race at Shamrock in 2011 & 2012 .. I still remember the leg warmers she purchased for me to wear… LEG WARMERS for godsake.. (you see them in my pic above)... I put them on as arm warmers.. lol… and then she passed away…

Life goes on.. and you pick up the pieces and struggle about.. to find a way to deal with the vacant hole in your heart.. Joe and I did not race Shamrock in 2013… and we thought about never returning.. but then life took another turn… a life changing surgery for me.. and a realization that we truly only have a certain number of days..

I am blessed to say that once again I am back at the Shamrock races.. and although I won't be doing the 8k and half.. I choose to take on the mother of all races.. the Marathon.. To honor my mother.. and to prove that I can beat those demons…

I would love to say that I will make my Boston marathon time on Sunday.. but who knows.. sometimes life gets in the way… But what I am sure of.. that every step on Sunday.. I will make with my mother in heaven and with Joe by my side .... Shamrock on!

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...