Monday, October 3, 2011

FAMILY AFFAIR - Kimberton 5K


Yeah its been a while since I posted.. not that we haven't done anything interesting.. I mean we ran for 12 hours on September 4th... Labor Pains Ultra Trail Run.. Joe completing 50 miles and I completing 35 miles and spraining my ankle.

And yeah.... I started back up at night school again...Anatomy and Physiology... two hours on Tuesday nights and three hours on Thursday nights..ask me anything about plasma membrane and I bet I can tell you... oh and then we ran the Philly Rock and Roll Half Marathon on September 18th and lets see... yeah just spent a full filled weekend on September 24th and 25th running three 5K's. Its almost like old times!

Kimberton 5K - Saturday, September 24th @ 9am
VERY excited to be able to run the Kimberton 5K with my dad and my nephew James. I did this race 5 years ago (in 2006) and at that time it was my 2nd race ever…

I had just started running and couldn't remember why I wanted to do it but did it and won my first medal ever, placing 3rd in my age group (actually I was 2nd in my age group because the 2nd place person was actually a guy but never mind that story for now).. and I have that medal and tshirt hanging in a plaque on my wall to remember WHAT HAS CAUSED ALL THIS MADNESS!!!!

I mentioned to dad that I thought this would be a great race for him to try.. it only had one hill and was local, the price was right and well I knew he had been working on increasing his runs and a little bit of a hilly course would help him with his endurance and so why not!


HOWEVER, you would have thought that 5 years wouldn’t have totally erased my memory of how many HILLS there actually were.

It's when you start the race and realize UH OH…. and it's an "ok" thing if you are solo in the race and didn’t convince your father and nephew to join you.. but when you have other's join in and its an UH OH.. then well its a BIG UH OH!

YEAH, now I remember this was one of the hilliest courses i had done in the area... how the heck could I have forgotten that!!... and mental note… DO NOT FORGET THIS IS A HILLY COURSE....note taken...

I ran fine… placing second age, which thrilled me as I LOVE HARDWARE! ....But what was significantly more satisfying was to see that Dad and James ran exceptional!

My nephew James had just started doing 5K's & training and I noticed that he is a natural....
After the race I spoke to him about the race and he wasn't even out of breath and he mentioned to me that he wanted to walk so many times but didn't and that the hills were tough....

.... That my young nephew is mental toughness. ....
James made a power move on his own within 200 yards of the finish, sprinting passed a kid in his age group and the kids father and held the placing to win third in his age group.

My dad also lit this course up, running his best 5K time ever on one of the hardest hilliest courses! Dad was thrilled with his first place age win... and I was thrilled just to be a part of it all!

I love my family!!!


We scored a first, second and third place medal (in our own respective age group categories) and James won the big doorprize of a bucket of car cleaning items… yeah!

TEAM DUFFY ROCKS!!

Results: http://kimbertonrun.com/5kresults.htm

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...