Friday, May 29, 2009

Its a START

Marathon Training
Well we are two weeks into our “advanced” Marathon training …and already Joe is giving me lip… I had made mention that he had to run 5 miles last night... and when he questioned why..... since he did 5 miles the day before… I informed him that is what is ON THE SCHEDULE.. and it’s only 5.. jeez...

He of course had to send this nice little text later in the day, “I will be running (another) 5 tonight at Valley Forge with Mike, because some WITCH is making me run on 1-1/2 legs…"
(..oh and the leg comment was because he said his little leggy ached a bit…)

SIGH.. I think it's going to be a L-O-N-G.... 17 weeks until the marathon.

OK.. fine.. so mid week I am out on a run.. wearing my normal florescent shirt and running towards the flow of traffic in order to make sure no person with less than optimal intelligence runs me over… and the run is going well.. when this D-CK FACE in a MERCEDES.... drifts off the road... heading right towards me..


uh oh……I frantically start waving my arms ...which with the fluorescent long sleeves he most certainly cant miss it.. IF HE WAS LOOKING!!!!!!... finally when D-CK FACE noticed..I am sure he said something similar to this - "Oh hello.... I am driving my Mercedes… I am wonderful... and look ....what is that person doing in my way...? ”

Within the last seconds of my life... determining if I should jump up on the hood of his car....he veers back onto the road.. passing me while typing on his blackberry…I could almost see what he was typing!!…

POTTY MOUTH.. I most certainly have a potty mouth…the curse words that came out would have shocked a sailor… how is it that people can be soo utterly UTTERLY STUPID!!!!?... Joe would have been a rich man…and hmm ....I wonder..

Javelin Practice

Because I am sure I would fall into a deep coma if I relaxed ... I was practicing throwing my javelin on Sunday…. everything went exceptionally well until two days later when my entire mid frame felt as though someone came up and TWISTED IT... THEN PULLED OUT PIECES... it hurt to laugh… and it took great amounts of effort to lift my arm…

WOW… outta shape… so I thought perhaps I would read up on some exercises that would help STRENGTH my obviously weak mid frame, shoulder and stuff…

AHA… I just read that axe chopping or sledge hammering is good practice for javelin preparation.. so I pose the question to Joe, “Can I chop up things this weekend?”

Axe Chop / Sledge Hammer
Purpose:
To simultaneously develop strength and flexibility in the shoulder girdle, pectoral and upper back musculature. Requirements: This exercise requires a sledgehammer or lumber axe, and a stable knee-height hitting surface such as a tractor tire, mound of dirt, or a large log.

Description: The athlete stands in front of a knee-height hitting surface. The axe / hammer is brought over the head and swung violently down on to the hitting surface. The key for this exercise is to let the weight of the axe or hammer pull the arms back so that a stretch is felt through the shoulders and upper back. This will initiate a stretch reflex contraction, while developing strength and flexibility for throwing.

Variations: This exercise can be performed with one hand or two.

Recommendations: Have the athlete initiate the movement with the whole body rather than just the arms; this will create a whip-like effect on the axe or hammer.

I am not sure why he has to be soo mean.. he wont let me have a chain saw... NOW HE WONT LET ME USE AN AXE!!!…. I don’t know how he expects me to get any better at anything!!! UGH!!!

WHATEVER…

Our long run is scheduled for Sunday.. will be our first in a while ….will let you know how that goes..

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...