Saturday, July 19, 2008

Upper Uwchlan 150th Anniversary 5K Run


Big Ole’ Ribbon

Today… Joe and I ran the Upper Uwchlan 150th Anniversary 5K Run together.. when I say we ran it together I mean T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R…

Our township was celebrating their 150th Anniversary and I thought it would be a great idea to sign up the WHOLE family and do a family run.. unfortunately the whole family had other ideas…… like, “OH..I haven’t walked/run in weeks” ....or “I forgot about it, when is it again?” ....or the best yet, “I have to go to the Kenny Chesney concert”.....now why is it I am the only one who hasn’t heard any of his songs???? and WHO IS HE@@! ?

Anyhow, low and behold Joe said he would do the 5K with me.. since by the way it was only 2 miles from our house…..so we head down to the township building to pick up our race packets. A sign at registration posted the winning award brackets.. they offered the top 3 male and female in only three brackets: ages 15-28, 29-45, and 46+ Holy Smokes.. that means Joe and I would be competing with a LARGE group of people...the 29-45 year olds.. and by glancing around THAT’S ALMOST all that were here, not too many younglings getting themselves out of bed on a Saturday morning.. so that kinda sealed the deal.. we would just run nice and easy… Joe was nursing a bad paw anyhow… (hurt the pad of his foot this week) so should be easy enough to stay on the easy plan. Until the gun goes off..

I really did try and hold back… no starting off like someone shot me out of a cannon.. I took it nice and E-A-S-Y…I look over and there is Joe.. hmm.. I must be going too easy.. so I pick up pace… I look over again and he is AHEAD OF ME!!!!… HMMMMM… so I pick up pace again…Did I not mention that we ran T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R? ... Most of the race was this back and forth.. I would be ahead.. we would be besides each other.. he would be ahead and then we would be besides each other… I looked at time on watch.. what part of EASY did we miss??!!….. We both PR’d today…Joe taking over 2 minutes off his best 5K time… I placing third in my age group and 15th overall and Joe placing 17th overall. And what a BIG OLE’ RIBBON they gave out…

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...