Sunday, July 20, 2008

XTERRA XDURO 21K Half Marathon


Fighting the demons.

91 degrees today. Too hot. Man… too hot to be running 13.1 miles, alas too hot to be doing anything but floating in a pool. But gotta keep with the schedule.. wonder what the h-ll I am thinking… why cant I just sleep in, go to pool, and relax?!.. sigh

I ran the XterraXduro 21K Trail Half Marathon in Nottingham this am… should have known when I didn’t see any animals nor living creatures roaming about that it was going to be a scorcher of a day.

The course was a two loop course that was laid out just right.. a mix of trails, grass, single track, and hills.. they offered the option of bailing out after the first loop of 6.2 miles if we wanted.. and I do believe many choose this option and smartly so… bail out.. go home and go to the pool…

I HAD to get this 13.1 mile training run in.. just take it nice... and easy....they say trail running is great for the soul and much better for the legs than road running.. um.. yeah.. they are outta their mind!!! This is now the umpteenth time that I have trail run, raced, or a mix of the two.. and each time I come out either bloody, muddy, injured or looking like someone beat me with a stick..

.. and then.... there are the demons... the trail demons.. they love to work the mind… they whisper telling you it's ok to give up, they input doubt.... they bring in fatigue...they jump on your back going up hills… .. I stumbled, I twist my ankle.. they said to quit....it's ok, you have nothing to prove.. bail..

.. into a blazin hot field..nothing but the sounds of buzzing insects.. I tell you bail.. 6 miles is fine.. bail I tell you… EAGLEMAN, CHESSY MAN….. I must go on.. GO ON.. and leave me alone!... The second loop was just as fun as the first…alot slower and alot more painful BUT I did finish and I did not let the trail demons win.. not really sure trail running and I are "ONE"... it just battles with me.. but I know in a few weeks when I can feel my toes again that I will be stronger!

Post note: I won 3rd in my age division until some gender confusion (not with me!) bumped me to 4th… that I am sure will make another posting!

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...