Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year




We opted for the Mastripolito Mile instead of the 5K!!

Weather: 17 degrees with 12-15 mph winds..so wind
chill of around 4.. humidity 40%...(so winds not as bad as previously stated..BUT STILL FREAKING COLD)

Well I tell you.. it was sooo cold last night that I convinced Joe that doing a Mastripolito Mile was SOO much better than the Mastripolito 5K (3 miles)!!!! And he calls me a WHOOSE... !!!....I said whatever .. I don’t care.. but if you want to do the 3 miles instead.. FINE...I will do it... (I am no whoose)... so almost right before the time to leave he goes outside to check this out.. .. and he is like WTF... !!!....it's freaking cold out there.. NO SH-T there buddy...um duh.

So we did the mile instead.. THANKFULLY SO.. .. but it was horrible.. I am wearing TONS of clothes.. like long johns, under armour leggings, sweats, then on top I had five layers... and then hat, gloves, flashlight, face gaiter… I must of weighed 5-10 pounds more than I usually do..

So we go tearing up the road at 11:55pm (according to the kitchen clock.. failed to look at the GARMIN clock.. this will have significance later)... figuring a 10 min mile at worse.. crossing over into the new year.. it was just REALLY COLD..I mean with it being REALLY DARK..and it being just 17 degrees out.. It was JUST REALLY REALLY COLD.

Joe had his headlight on and I carried a small flashlight.. my hands started to get cold almost right away... I should have done mittens... we clock in doing a 5.36 pace at the first QUARTER mile marker..and then we died… DIED...the hills in our neighborhood seemed REALLY REALLY steep... and the air was really really dry and it was hard to actually draw in a breath…

So we stay together until the first hill.. then I was dropped..DROPPED.. GONE.. BYE BYE.. I was fooling with my face gaiter... while holding my flashlight.. and of course almost blinded myself..and then seeing spots for the next few feet .. the next time I look up .. he is up the road!!!... ARGH... .it's an out and back.. Joe ends up finishing first.. THE WINNER... and I second..

But our kitchen clock is wrong.. our Garmin's say we started at 11.51 (which we both did in the 8's for our mile.)... SO since Joe was ahead of me... he did not cross over midnight RUNNING.. so SHOULDN'T HE BE DISQUALIFIED!????.. tee.. hee.. .. here are MY time specs (according to MY Garmin)
Start Time: Dec 31, 2008 11:51:46 PM
Finish Time: Jan 1, 2009 12:00:13 AM
Time Zone: Eastern (US & Canada)

We didnt get to bed to almost 1:30.. and I am EXHAUSTED.. but what a great way to bring in the year!

2009 HERE WE COME!!!!!

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...