Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Angel of Death


Well I am finally back to writing a bit… needed time to think.

Tough week….

Lost a faithful companion of 18 years last week.

Puffers, our beloved 18 year old Maine Coon cat had to be put to sleep. It happen so quickly..within a week of her falling ill she was gone. The vet had found a very aggressive tumor in her mouth…and she was unable to eat and drink… I think she knew…we didn’t.

Joe couldn’t stay in there… he had to leave the room, it was just too painful for him. I stayed and the vet explained everything. I held her as she laid her little chin upon my arm…her warm wet nose formed tiny droplets on my skin as she fell into a deep peaceful sleep. She knew I was there… she felt my warmth… and then she took her last breath. She had the most beautiful eyes, the color of auburn, of a fall day. Her eyes are vacant now, a life of no more suffering….no more pain..

As I looked at her.. I didn’t see the ravaged body of what the cancer had done, I saw my beautiful kitty… my beautiful gorgeous kitty, how peaceful she was… damn I didn’t want to be in this position.

I asked the vet to see if Joe wanted to come back in afterwards and he did.. he threw himself on her and wept saying he was sorry. The utter emptiness was suffocating ….we spent a while with her.... and then as she cooled it was time to go.

We had her cremated… and they would place her remains in a beautifully carved wooden box. She would be with us always…

Puffers was always very protective of her family. I don’t know if that is something instinctive in Maine Coons or just for her but she didn’t much care for anyone else but her family. We did worry a bit that if something happen to us who would take care of her? She was always my baby.

She was the first cat I ever owned and was a fireball of fur who instantly nestled into the back of my neck on the way home from the pet store. I thought I wanted to name her something cool and fancy but Heather said lets call her puffy… I thought puffy? .. Puffers is what stuck.. and so we were a family of four; Joe, Heather, Puffers, and I.

Then with any good idea .. we decided puffers needed a companion.. someone that could be her buddy while we were at work to keep her company… so we got Fernando, a beautiful short hair Persian cat. So we bring Fernando home.. look Puffers… friend. Look what mommy and daddy brought you…

Puffers almost bit his ear off and bit his tail twice, to which even to this day Fernando’s tail is crooked and his ear limp. Do you think Fernando held a grunge? Nope.. in fact over the years the two became best buddies. So then we were a family of five… Until the dog came two years later.. that’s a whole different story. So now we were a family of six. For over 18 years now (16 with the dog)…

There are many stories of Puffers hissing, growling and scaring the absolute b-jeezes out of people coming to the house. It became almost comical with our little protective “lion.” Joe and I swear that there was something in our old house that bothered her because her disposition changed instantly when we moved.

If you knew her in the last five years of her life you would have known a completely different cat. She was loving, sweet, and attentive. One of my best friends and our “cat sitter” (who would stay at our house when we were away on vacation) wrote us a beautiful sympathy card, stating she too would miss Puffers, that Puffers would sit with her and watch TV. I am sure I can see that now, Ms. Mimi and Ms. Puffers together on the couch eating treats watching the big screen. I am glad that she had a great life, I am glad she came to us.

The Rainbow Bridge… it’s a really great poem that our vet sent us with condolences. If you haven’t read it take a moment…

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...



So to get my mind off things, I head to the beach to spend some time camping with my parents… thought it would do me good to get away, for some rest and relaxation…so me and the dog head to the beach.

Well it only took two days... and I lost my mac card. I no longer have any credit cards (that’s a whole other issue)… and I didn’t find out I was missing it until I was in line and went to pay for my stuff at the walmart.. how embarrassing!!.... Everyone in line is now tapping their foot, sighing or down right glaring at me... as I frantically search my purse for the freaking card... and just when I am ready to break into tears I realized I had my check book. I appologize to the folks in line behind me for the delay... the good old checkbook!

So still perplexed on where the F_ is my mac card!!!!!.. and NO I dont carry cash with me.. that's what the mac card is for!!!..... so I think.. what did I do with it????.. hmm.. What I found out is that when I had used the mac machine two days ago.. the machine ate it and didn’t give it back.... which I didnt notice because I am brain dead? And when I returned to the bank to find out if they had it and they said yes but had destroyed it.. I was happy but sad.. happy that someone didn’t get ahold of it and empty out my account although $75 aint going to get anyone too far anyway... and sad that now I had no money and no access to money for the rest of my vacation.. yikes..

So Joe arrives the next day.. whew. . all is well.. or at least now I have access to money... and then dog has a stroke or something....!.... she all of a sudden couldnt walk or stand without falling over. She was droiling and throwing up... We were in shock no freaking way, you cannot take our dog too.. !!

I am the angel of death.. I am sure of it...so we came back from the beach early and went to vet. The vet didn’t really say much... or maybe I didn’t listen but she gave Isabella pain medicine and anti inflammatory meds and isabella has improved significantly! Ok so I understand isabella is 16 years old... but she cannot go yet!!!

Isabella is a fighter, she is hobbling around the house on three legs… I figured if she had a stroke she could still rehab right!? anyway she is in super spirits.. Joe and I are exhausted... we need a vacation..

PS: Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that it took 5 hours.. yes 5 HOURS to drive home from bethany because of the 4th of July traffic.. and where the hell do all these people come from!!!? AND WHATS WITH THE DAMN DOG!!!! UGH

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...