Monday, December 1, 2008

Dirty Bird

So what do you do when you have to get rid of 72 race t-shirts…?????..... hmmm… donate them to a local charity and then go run another race!!.......... I had to clean out my closet this weekend ........
so I carefully made two piles.. keepers and get ridders… the ones that made the keeper pile were usually ones that were unique, meaningful, or downright comfy… well yesterday’s race t-shirt was a KEEPER…


Technically I am not on “REST” yet as that is suppose to happen AFTER my birthday weekend.. next weekend.. so the Dirty Bird 15K (9.3 miles) Trail Run just so happen to be yesterday and well… I signed Joe and I up!!!...... My friends Denise, Tom, and Barb were also doing it… and why not… ???.....it was on trails….and trails are suppose to be “easier” on the legs… right!!???

Well the fact that it was 32 degrees and freezing rain that am… .. and then a VERY COLD steady rain during the race…… and that we all couldn’t feel our fingers, toes, or other body parts for quite some time….. I think it was well worth it! …… I mean where else can you run around like a deer in the woods…. jumping logs…[ pushing people] … galloping up hills…fighting briars… crying because you are the OLDEST out of all your friends and hubby…. and they all kicked you’re a-s… …

Me and trail running.. it’s a love / hate relationship… they say trail running is better for the legs… and better for you… hmmm.. well let’s see… in previous trail runs.. I have face planted causing a swollen, blooded lip…. slipped on ice smashing my tail bone … twisted my ankle…gotten cut, bruised, muddied, and ended up smelling like horse sh-t….. but yeah Trail Running is great.. … you can’t pay enough to have this much fun…

…The Dirty Bird was right up our alley… it was in the same park that Joe and I train in… so we were used to the hefty hills.. and I took out the first 5 miles with vigor and gusto… leaping through the woods passing slower folks… until all energies just zapped themselves up from my body.. I so need to be restrained… training on hills is the key… Barb and Tom had passed me by mile 2… careful pacing is the key…Joe zipped by me at mile 5… burning your fuel effectively is also the key… Denise passed me around mile 7… so I dragged my worn out….tired… freaking hungry a-s in that last mile……give me some FOOD!!!!!!....

......72 race t-shirts… so if I am getting rid of 72 race shirts and have kept approx 50 shirts.. within the last two years that would mean???..

Can't wait until my birthday weekend… !

Race Results

Selected - Chicago Marathon 2021

Exciting.... after trying for a number of years to get into the Chicago Marathon... I was finally selected!!! So now to figure out the best ...